Location: Montreal, Quebec
Job Type: This position is offered on a full-time basis; however, we are open to discussing a part-time arrangement for the right candidate. On-site presence required
Contract Duration: 12-month contract with a possibility of renewal; 90-day probationary period
Job entry: The anticipated start date for this position is between February and March 2024.
Posting Date: December 7, 2023
Milieux Institute at Concordia University, a beacon of interdisciplinary research at the intersection of arts, technology, and culture, is in search of a dynamic Head of Communications. This full-time role, based in the Montreal, Quebec, is crafted for individuals ready to shape the course of our story across academic, artistic, and social landscapes on a global stage. Offered initially on a 12-month contract with renewal potential, we seek an innovative communicator capable of independent creative strategy, collaborative multimedia work, and effective project management.
Open to both emerging professionals and advanced students with pertinent backgrounds, we’re prepared to tailor the role between part-time and full-time to harmonize with academic and creative pursuits. Key responsibilities include fostering close ties with university and partners and managing event coverage, occasionally outside standard working hours. This role is an exceptional chance to gain experience and grow your skills in a collaborative, research-focused environment. Please note, a 90-day probationary period will apply, and this position is not available for remote work. We look forward to welcoming a dedicated individual who is eager to contribute to and grow with our dynamic team.
Embrace this chance to shape innovative communication avenues, to support and highlight the prolific work of over 200 graduate students, faculty, and researchers across our seven clusters. This is more than a role; it’s a commitment to enrich our collective research endeavors and amplify the impact of Milieux’s contributions to knowledge and creativity.
- Elevate the profile of Milieux’s diverse research and creation activities.
- Foster meaningful encounters with our members, highlighting the array of events and projects at Milieux.
- Showcase our academic, community, and industry partnerships and collaborations, reflecting the institute’s interdisciplinary ethos.
- Craft and convey the Milieux story through compelling text and visuals.
- Chart and implement comprehensive media outreach and public engagement timelines.
- Offer expertise to our researchers and creators, enhancing their visibility to both academic peers and the public.
- Act as a bridge between Milieux and various communication entities within and beyond Concordia University.
- Lead the production of our Annual Report, manage our digital footprint, including website content and social media platforms, and spearhead our key events such as the annual exhibition and symposium.
- Proven experience in communications within academic or artistic settings.
- Ability to manage a diverse team, including part-time student staff and contracted professionals.
- In-depth knowledge and interest in fine arts, digital culture, and new media sectors, both in Canada and internationally.
- Adept in handling multiple projects from inception to fruition.
- Familiarity with university administration practices
What We Offer:
- A stimulating environment at the crossroads of art, technology, and culture.
- The chance to lead a communications team in a premier research institution.
- Opportunities for professional development in a role that intersects with various disciplines and media.
- A position that not only disseminates but also shapes the future of research communication.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Exceptional research, writing, and graphic design skills.
- Proficiency in social media and web analytics, including SEO.
- Project management know-how and partnership-building expertise.
- Willingness to work flexible hours as needed.
- Fluency in English; French is a valuable asset.
We encourage candidates who meet many, but perhaps not all, of these qualifications to apply, as we value a diverse array of talents and perspectives.
We are committed to employment equity and to act upon the problem of underrepresentation of women, Aboriginal peoples, racialized people and persons with disabilities.
We are also committed to a working environment which is free of systemic discrimination and in which the values of equity, non-discrimination and diversity are fostered and promoted.
The salary for this position will range from $26.68 to $36.94 per hour, in accordance with university policies and the governing collective agreements in place. Final salary determination will reflect the successful candidate’s experience and qualifications within these parameters.
HOW TO APPLY:
To express your interest in this role, please forward your curriculum vitae (CV) and a cover letter addressed to Bart Simon, Director at email@example.com.
The position is open until filled, and we will begin reviewing and contacting applicants after the University reopens from the holiday period during the week of January 8th, 2024.
UPDATE: This position has been successfully filled as of February 14th, 2024.