Milieux Institute for Arts, Culture and Technology
Job title: Administrative Assistant, Milieux Institute
Supervisor: Head of Operations, Milieux Institute
Status: Part time casual (15-20 hours per week)
Posting period: 12 September to 23 September 2023 (or until hired)
Job entry: October 2022
Probation: 90 days
Milieux is an institute for research and research-creation at the intersection of the fine arts, digital culture and information technology located at Concordia University in Montreal, Quebec. We support 200+ graduate students, dozens of faculty members, and several postdoctoral researchers working across seven interdisciplinary research clusters and numerous collaborative projects.
The Administrative Assistant works with managers and other staff to ensure that administrative tasks within the operations portfolio are completed and that the institute functions efficiently. This is a great opportunity for a current student or recent graduate to gain hands on experience with administrative and support tasks associated with operating the institute, including financial administration and basic accounting, as well as to gain knowledge of major research granting agencies and funding processes.
- Acts as point of contact with the research cluster coordinators regarding membership processes, meeting and space reservations, and key/access card requests
- Provides administrative support to the core staff, including preparation of payroll and financial service requests, expense reports, travel bookings and serves as back-up on several processes
- Develops expertise and serves as a resource for Office365 applications (Excel, Word, Outlook, Teams, OneDrive), including the ability to create Word templates, pivot tables, charts, formulas in Excel, as well as other applications.
- Provides support to cluster coordinators in policies and procedures as well as in the appropriate utilization of technology
- Ensures accurate preparation and timely approval of financial and payroll documents and communicates with HR and Financial Services teams as needed (including time sheets, expense reports, payment requestion forms, invoice/purchase requests, among others)
- Provides data support for department month-end and year-end processes as needed
- Enters expense and budget tracking data and follows up with internal departments and units as needed
- Maintains Institute filing system
- Helps organize and maintain common spaces
- Assists with making travel and hospitality arrangements, meeting and space bookings, hotel reservations and travel accommodations.
- Communicates with event organizers, invited guests and suppliers as needed
- Provides overflow assistance to cluster coordinators as assigned
- Other duties as assigned by the manager
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to teach skills and concepts to colleagues
- Ability to write clearly and great communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Basic accounting and budget management skills
- Familiarity with common office software used for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, file sharing, project management and messaging (like Office 365, MS Office Suite, Google Docs/Sheets, OneDrive/Sharepoint, Dropbox, Teams, Discord, Trello)
- Availability to work flexible hours on occasion, including evening and weekends
- English and French an asset
- Experience in a university environment desired
Casual/Contract Employee $16.43-$18.26/hr
Concordia University is committed to Employment Equity and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should submit a CV and cover letter to the attention of Harry Smoak at email@example.com by Friday September 23, 2022. Position will remain open until filled.