with Geneviève Moisan & Marc Beaulieu
This workshop is a introductory crash-course in wearable interactive-textile creation. We will build basic circuits and learn basic coding strategies to program the Adafruit Gemma microcontroller. We will explore possible behaviours that we might integrate into a wearable fabric (such as playfulness, irrationality, vengefulness…), using one input sensor and one output component.
DAY 1 – Monday, February 3rd, 1:00pm – 5:00pm
– Understanding the Gemma microcontroller & sample Arduino code
– Designing an interactive textile
– Preparing a test circuit
– Understanding how to layout electronic components in a soft-circuit
DAY 2 – Monday, February 10th, 1:00pm – 5:00pm
– Creating an embroidery circuit from an Illustrator file
– Laying conductive thread circuit using the industrial embroidery machine
– Integrating electronic components into a soft circuit by hand
– Fine-tuning Arduino programming to achieve desired responses
Prerequisites: A basic understanding of electronics and a basic understanding of the software Adobe Illustrator is strongly recommended.
* This workshop is open to members of all Milieux Research Clusters.
**Limited spaces available. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include ‘Defiant Wearables’ in the subject line for RSVP.